St Mark’s Church, Kennington, is an Anglican church in Kennington, London. The church is a Commissioners’ church originally
receiving a grant from the Church Building Commission towards its
The architect was David R. Roper and the total cost of the church,
including the land and other expenses, was £22,720. This was paid partly
by the local parishioners and partly by Parliament through a grant known as
“The Million Fund”.
From 1879 to 1889, the Vicar of St Mark’s was The Rev. Henry
Montgomery (1847-1932), a clergyman who had been born into an Ulster
Scots family in Cawnpore. He later served as Bishop of Tasmania. His son,
who was born in Kennington, was Field Marshal The 1st Viscount
Montgomery of Alamein.
The church stands prominently opposite the Oval tube station and close to
the world famous cricket ground.
The Georgian church is typical of the period with classical columns dressing
an ornate entrance and the church stands in its own grounds commanding
a large corner site. Inside the church has been segmented with a floor
being fitted at the upper gallery level. The upstairs area now consists of
many offices,meeting rooms and a large communal area.
The worship area remains at ground level, and below ground level is a crypt
and cafe area.
The heating system therefore had to be flexible enough to meet the
demands of all areas both individuality and collectively. It also needed to be
responsive and economic. The initial design of this system was prepared
by Martin Dow of EngDesign London and we worked closely with them in
delivering a suitable solution to St Marks heating requirements
- Low pressure hot water system in four zones
- Operating in 3 zones with a total of 38 radiators
- 2 Potterton Sirius wall mounted condensing boilers with sequencing controls
- Minster type 22 radiators in the office area and crypt with type 33 radiators in teh worship area
- Churchwarden 37 wifi controller used to give maximum flexibility and economy whilst being operable from anywhere in the world