This is another grade one listed church and by far the biggest church we have been given the task of heating, in fact it is true to say we have heated smaller cathedrals.
Christ the King is unusual in that it does not come under faculty jurisdiction with church only being leased to the Church of England, but it does come under the protection of listed building consent and has had to endure a raft of conditions which probably exceed those of the Diocese. Thankfully we were working for a very knowledgeable employer with a good engineering background along with a renown and competent architect with whom we had worked before on other church projects, which made for a very smooth operation on site.
The whole installation spanned a twelve week period on site nd the work which involved the removal of the old system and the installation of 75 radiators over three zones working from a state of the art boiler plant. The resultant system gives comfort levels that are in keeping for such a magnificent building.
This is how Wikipedia describes the church
The Church of Christ the King is a church belonging to the Catholic Apostolic Church, situated in Gordon Square, Bloomsbury, London, alongside Dr Williams’s Library and near University College London. The church is currently used by Euston Church for Sunday services. The English Chapel at the east end of the Church is used by Forward in Faith for weekday services. It has been a Grade I listed building since 10 June 1954.
Early English Neo-Gothic in style and cruciform in plan, the church was built by Raphael Brandon between 1850 and 1854 (with Brandon’s interior designed in 1853) for the Victorian church movement the Catholic Apostolic Church (also known as “Irvingites”). It is built of Bath stone, with a tiled roof. The structure is incomplete, lacking two bays on its liturgical west side (which prevented the construction of a planned façade – the west end remains unfinished, in brick apart from entrance in stone) and (like the abbey) a crossing tower (including a 150 ft spire – the tower base that was built has mostly blind arcading). Its cruciform plan Westminster Abbey in miniature is made up of a nave with full triforium and clerestory, side aisles, sanctuary and Lady Chapel. All of the church’s exterior corners have octagonal corner turrets with gabled niches and terminating in spires with gablets. The facade has pinnacled buttresses and corbelled parapet.
The main entrance is at the east end, from Gordon Street, through a gabled porch with angle buttresses (with mouldings, a pointed-arch door and a two-light and oculus plate tracery window above the door) which links onto the Lady Chapel via an octagonal turret and two-light room. (There is also a north side entrance approached by a cloister walk from the porch.)
The five-bay nave (only 13 feet lower than that of Westminster Abbey) has a gabled east facade with three large lancets below five smaller ones – on the inside, it has a timber hammer beam roof with angels and central bosses of snowflake design, as well as a double-arcaded triforium. It also contains a cathedra for its Angel (roughly equivalent to Bishop) of the Catholic Apostolic Church.
The crossing is made up of roll-moulded arches on clustered columns. The transepts are gabled, with two layers of three lancets below a rose window. The south transept’s windows (the originals) are the most notable – the lancets have Christ in Majesty with ranks of saints, apostles and angels and earth below, whilst its rose window is by Archibald Nicholson and has a dove in the centre surrounded by musician angels and cherubim and seraphim.
The church’s three-bay sanctuary has a roof with stone rib-vaulting and foliated bosses, along with a sanctuary lamp by Augustus Pugin. The three-bay Lady Chapel (formerly the English Chapel) is beyond this sanctuary, separated from it by a screen behind the high altar with open traceried window to the chapel. The chapel itself has a richly painted timber roof and stone angel along with an east facade with arcaded lancet windows below a small rose window and gable, along with gabled and pinnacled buttresses.
In 1853, a fine organ was erected by Gray and Davison. It was a three manuals organ with pedals, containing 13 stops on the Great-organ, 12 stops on the Swell-organ, 10 stops on the Choir-organ and 8 on the pedal. In total there were 6 couplers. A specification of the organ as it now is can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register. One of the first organists was Edmund Hart Turpin. In 1903 a subb bass 16 ft was added to the choir-organ.
Annette Peach, in her entry for Brandon in the Dictionary of National Biography, writes;
“The Catholic Apostolic Church in Gordon Square, London, was built between 1850 and 1854 and, though reproducing features recorded by the Brandon brothers in their scholarly works, this extremely large church was criticised by a contemporary for its lack of originality of design. Recent scholars, however, have drawn attention to the combination of 13th- and 15th-century Gothic precedents in its design, which offer a tangible record of the Brandon brothers’ study of ecclesiastical architecture.”
The church was designated a Grade I listed building on 10 June 1954.
From 1963 to 1994, it was known as the University Church of Christ the King and served the Anglican Chaplaincy to the Universities and Colleges of the Diocese of London. In practice it was a worship centre for students living in the university halls nearby, but was also used occasionally for London-wide events, with a very strong emphasis on music in worship (under the successive musical directorships of Ian Hall, Alan Wilson and Simon Over).
This new role was begun with a morning Eucharist at which the Bishop of London, the Right Reverend Robert Stopford, celebrated and an Evensong with the former Bishop of London, J. W. C. Wand, preaching), both on 6 October 1963. During this period, a Thanksgiving Eucharist was celebrated on 27 November 1988 for the 25th anniversary of this role, with the Right Reverend Michael Marshall preaching and, on 6 December 1983, the memorial service for Nikolaus Pevsner was held here.
The last chaplaincy Sunday service was held on 28 June 1992 but a weekday service continued until Ash Wednesday (16 February) 1994. The chaplaincy returned the lease on the church to the Catholic Apostolic Trustees on 30 June 1994. There was a popular student café – the Crypt Cafe – in the basement for several years until the church closed.